Friday, October 16, 2009

No Country For Old Men

When I first read that Kenya's median age was 19 and life expectancy was 58 (vs 37 and 78 for the US, respectively), I didn't really believe it or fully appreciate it. As I was walking around today in both the slums and business district of Nairobi, it occurred to me that I hadn't seen a single "old" person since I got here.

If I needed a reminder why, it came on our way to dinner tonight. For a good five minutes, we were tailing a bus by about 10 feet. It wasn't the driving skills that provided the reminder (or else Italy would clock in at ages considerably less than their respective 43 and 80), it was the fact the bus was spewing a thick cloud of exhaust and partially-burned diesel fuel, making it hard to see even within the car, which had all of its windows open (they were locked and we'd already gone through an extensive exercise of getting each open to just the right height).

I made a comment from beneath the undershirt I'd pulled over my nose and mouth to the effect of, "Wow, that's a lot of smoke!" To which our Kenyan driver responded, "Oh yes, it's very bad." Yet we continued our low-speed pursuit until the bus turned a few minutes later.

There are so many health challenges and things trying to kill people here that ingesting carcinogens doesn't even register on the radar (literally... see the chart below). Cancer is so far down the list of causes of death that people rarely live long enough for it to ever be of concern.




On that uplifting note, I need to finish preparing for the safari we're going on tomorrow! I should have lots of good photos and videos of Simba and family.

4 comments:

Mom said...

i know you wont be there long enough for thesmog to kill you, but those lions take a lotless time. Be careful. Cant wait to see your pictures. Love you, Mom

Bluefin said...

CK, government produced statistics aren't very reliable in the US - look at all the formulaic manipulations that go into calculating employment, consumer price inflation, etc.... not to mention the government's decision to no longer publish M3 money supply data. So I can only imagine how distorted government stats must be in countries like Kenya.

kk said...

I love that your blog is both informative and entertaining. I can visualize your trip and love it (well except for the smoke thing - be careful). Cant wait to see photos of safari. I am jealous!

Katie Leipprandt said...

Hi Christian! Caitlin told me about your blog and I had to check it out...so interesting!